Skip to main content

with all due respect to christopher meloni

So, if I show up at my boyfriend's apartment with no makeup on, my hair in a bun, wearing an old t-shirt, baggy jeans and trainers, he immediately wants to go out for a night on the town! He wants a fancy dinner at a swanky restaurant, and a visit to the neighbourhood jazz club.

But if I'm fully made-up, with flawless hair and a dressy outfit, his reaction is usually this - "let's order in and watch some TV".

Is this his (not so) clever way of avoiding having to take me out? He knows there's no way in hell I'm setting foot in a nice restaurant or club looking busted. I'm just not that kind of girl. Or does he genuinely not care how I look when we go out? It his ill-timed exuberance just coincidental?

The next time he goes into couch-potato mode after I've gone through the trouble of applying liquid eyeliner, I'm putting my stiletto-clad foot down! I am not wrestling with a flatiron for half an hour so I can spend the rest of the night on the sofa watching 'Law & Order : SVU'.

Comments

Atasha said…
You are too funny. Found you by way of Mani, hope you don't mind me stopping by.

This is what you do next time you show up in your baggy jeans and so forth. Oh wait, there are a few options:

1. Make sure the hair is done already because that takes too long to do. But walk with some dressy clothing and when he asks you to go out say sure give me a second.

2. Don't even bother to walk with sexy clothes. It's obvious that he knows there's a slight possibility of you saying yes and you obviously look great regardless of what you have on, so just go as is, old t-shirt and all :-)

See what happens.
Test said…
Hi atasha, I don't mind you stopping by at all, and you have the honour of being my very first comment!

I've broken down a couple of times and gone with option 2, but I just don't feel comfortable in plush surroundings when I don't look the part. Not really self-conscious, but I like to immerse myself fully in the whole 'swanky' experience.

But I think I might try option 1, since he's not terribly observant and probably won't notice the garment bag slung over my shoulder when I walk in the door. hee-hee!

Thanks for the advice!
Atasha said…
:-) I hear you on being comfortable in certain surroundings.

If all else fails try the "real" CSI (the original one with Grissom) as opposed to law and order.

Hehehe...I got jokes.

Popular posts from this blog

The Phantom Debt

A couple of months ago, with the help and support of someone very dear to me, I became, for the first time in about 10 years, entirely debt-free. Of course, there should be high-fives and abundant celebratory toasts at this momentous occasion. But instead of being at peace, and revelling in my new found financial freedom, I seem to have become downright terrified of spending money. I can only compare this to the phenomenon that many amputees claim to have experienced, a sensation that the missing limb is actually still there! I still feel the weight of the appendage that I carried for over a decade. In fact, I've found myself checking my credit-card balance several times a week, each time believing that my burden would suddenly re-appear, and each time finding the balance at zero, and each time being strangely disappointed that there was no balance due. And I've taken to wringing my hands in anxiety over the 'extra' money in my bank account at the end of the month. Was

They say ignorance is bliss.

And it WAS, for a while, but sooner or later, reality was bound smack me in the head (or a more southerly body part, in this case). The results of my follow-up exam are abnormal. So, in three weeks, I must submit to a colposcopy. For those who want extensive, clinical details about this procedure, click here . For those who do not, let's just say the doctor's going to poke around in my hoo-hah for a few minutes to see what the hell is going on down there. It's NOT cancer, they told me, but they need to see if it's anything of concern. So I'm just gonna chill, and put this out of my mind until the time comes. Yeah, right!