Skip to main content

dinner : my first frittata



Wednesday night is usually omelet night at our house, but I was really in the mood to step things up with a frittata.  I'd been wanting to do this for a while, but I've never been very keen on trying things that involve the oven, as it usually requires:
  1. Unloading all the pots and pans I usually store in the oven and piling them on the living room floor
  2. Making a roasting hot apartment even more roasting hot (I don't mind this so much, but the man complains)
  3. Losing sight of my food for more than a few minutes - I'm a bit of a kitchen control freak
At any rate, I put those concerns aside and got to the business of making this lovely frittata.  As far as instructions go, Alton Brown has never failed me, so I followed the method outlined here, and substituted the following fillings:

grated parmesan
baby kale and chopped tomatoes, sauteed
shredded mozzarella (added right before placing the pan under the broiler)

The result was a wonderful mix of textures - tender, fluffy, creamy, gooey, juicy and crunchy all at the same time!

While I probably won't be making this every week, I will most certainly be revisiting this recipe again, so that I can experiment with different fillings and ratios of whole egg to egg white.  It's so wonderful to be able to step out of my comfort zone and discover that a new twist on a weeknight staple isn't quite the daunting task I made it out to be.

However, shoving all those pots and pans back into the oven, that's another story!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Phantom Debt

A couple of months ago, with the help and support of someone very dear to me, I became, for the first time in about 10 years, entirely debt-free. Of course, there should be high-fives and abundant celebratory toasts at this momentous occasion. But instead of being at peace, and revelling in my new found financial freedom, I seem to have become downright terrified of spending money. I can only compare this to the phenomenon that many amputees claim to have experienced, a sensation that the missing limb is actually still there! I still feel the weight of the appendage that I carried for over a decade. In fact, I've found myself checking my credit-card balance several times a week, each time believing that my burden would suddenly re-appear, and each time finding the balance at zero, and each time being strangely disappointed that there was no balance due. And I've taken to wringing my hands in anxiety over the 'extra' money in my bank account at the end of the month. Was

They say ignorance is bliss.

And it WAS, for a while, but sooner or later, reality was bound smack me in the head (or a more southerly body part, in this case). The results of my follow-up exam are abnormal. So, in three weeks, I must submit to a colposcopy. For those who want extensive, clinical details about this procedure, click here . For those who do not, let's just say the doctor's going to poke around in my hoo-hah for a few minutes to see what the hell is going on down there. It's NOT cancer, they told me, but they need to see if it's anything of concern. So I'm just gonna chill, and put this out of my mind until the time comes. Yeah, right!