Skip to main content

Dinner : Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce, Twice-Cooked Potatoes and Bocconcini

 


Chimichurri sauce : combine the following in a food processor -
4 large garlic cloves
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
3/4 teaspoon salt

I suggest you play with the proportions until you achieve a taste you like. The mixture should be spicy and salty with a bit of tang.

Marinate flank steak in a few tablespoons of the sauce for about 30 minutes.  While the steak is marinating, halve some small waxy potatoes and place in a pan with cold water to cover.  Add a liberal amount of salt, bring to a boil and simmer until potatoes are just tender.  Remove from water and immediately toss with a tiny bit of olive oil then place in a medium-hot grill pan for about 3 minutes (so that grill marks appear and cut surfaces become slightly crispy).  Keep warm until ready to serve.

Cook flank steaks in a medium hot grill pan for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the meat and level of doneness required.

Slice steaks across the grain and serve on a bed of salad greens with potatoes and torn or shredded pieces of bocconcini.  Drizzle a bit more chimichurri on top.

Leftover chimichurri will keep for a few days in the fridge, and can be served with fish, chicken, eggs or veggies.

Comments

Laura-Ann said…
I love it. You must be the next food network star.
Test said…
Ohhhh no Laura-Ann. That is too much pressure for me! LOL

Popular posts from this blog

The Phantom Debt

A couple of months ago, with the help and support of someone very dear to me, I became, for the first time in about 10 years, entirely debt-free. Of course, there should be high-fives and abundant celebratory toasts at this momentous occasion. But instead of being at peace, and revelling in my new found financial freedom, I seem to have become downright terrified of spending money. I can only compare this to the phenomenon that many amputees claim to have experienced, a sensation that the missing limb is actually still there! I still feel the weight of the appendage that I carried for over a decade. In fact, I've found myself checking my credit-card balance several times a week, each time believing that my burden would suddenly re-appear, and each time finding the balance at zero, and each time being strangely disappointed that there was no balance due. And I've taken to wringing my hands in anxiety over the 'extra' money in my bank account at the end of the month. Was

They say ignorance is bliss.

And it WAS, for a while, but sooner or later, reality was bound smack me in the head (or a more southerly body part, in this case). The results of my follow-up exam are abnormal. So, in three weeks, I must submit to a colposcopy. For those who want extensive, clinical details about this procedure, click here . For those who do not, let's just say the doctor's going to poke around in my hoo-hah for a few minutes to see what the hell is going on down there. It's NOT cancer, they told me, but they need to see if it's anything of concern. So I'm just gonna chill, and put this out of my mind until the time comes. Yeah, right!